MCA MGN 580
MGN 580 (M) What`s it all about?
YPS are delighted to have become the first company to have achieved MGN 580 accreditation by the MCA’s nominated body BTTG.
Throughout the MCA notice period of fifteen months we worked tirelessly to ensure we were ready to provide our service on the required date of March 1 2020. We identified at a very early stage the most typical on – trend fabrics on modern superyachts. It was evident from fashionistas that the ability of polyesters (that dreaded crimplene association) was now able to comfortably simulate the appearance of silks, viscose etc. so it was important that we found a balanced product to give optimum results for all. We were never going to feel accomplished in resolving our client needs until we had a variety of polyester test passes on our approval certificate.
This MGN brings the attention of interested parties to the publication of the MCA Approval Procedures for fire retardant treatment of floor coverings, suspended textile materials, upholstery materials and bedding components onboard vessels certificated under the Large Commercial Yacht Code.
- The MCA Approval Procedures provide equivalence to inherently fire retardant materials used onboard new build and existing vessels certificated under the Fire Safety section of the Large Commercial Yacht Code part A (vessel < 500 GT).
- They establish robust quality assurance procedures to allow approval of fire retardant treatments for the protection of materials used onboard large commercial yachts.
- The MCA Approval Procedures and a Declaration of Conformity for such fire retardant treatments can be found as Appendixes 1 & 2, respectively, to this MGN.
- Service Provider is an organisation authorized by UK Notified Bodies to provide fire retardant treatment as defined in Appendix 1.
- List of Service Providers can be found online at the websites shown in Appendix 3.
- This MGN is applicable to new builds and existing large yachts.
This MGN 580 replaces MGN 453 following experience gained since 1 October 2012.a few key changes are:
- Pre-soaking to avoid any potential tampering of samples.
- Part 2 Toxicity test requirements for carpets
The testing requirements set out in the new MGN 580 (M) are included in section 8 as follows:
- 8.1. Floor coverings to which the fire-retardant treatment has been applied shall be tested in accordance with Part 5 of the 2010 FTP Code, with the addition of the spray-extraction cleaning procedure according to ISO 11379 but with the modifications advised in BS EN 14041. 3 APPENDIX 1 to MCA MGN 580 They shall also comply with the smoke and toxicity test requirements of Part 2 of the 2010 FTP Code.
- 8.2. Vertically supported textiles and films to which the fire-retardant treatment has been applied shall be tested in accordance with Part 7 of the 2010 FTP Code, including the pre-conditioning procedures specified in ISO 3175 to simulate commercial dry-cleaning.
- 8.3. Upholstered furniture to which the fire-retardant treatment has been applied shall be tested in accordance with Part 8 of the 2010 FTP Code, with the addition of the pre-conditioning procedures specified in ISO 3175 to simulate commercial dry-cleaning.
- 8.4. Bedding components to which the fire-retardant treatment has been applied shall be tested in accordance with Part 9 of the 2010 FTP Code, including the cleaning treatments specified in paragraph 6 of the Appendix to this Part. Part 2 floor coverings.
If you need any help or clarification of the new rules as defined within the REG code or the MGN 580 (M) please call Terry on +447775620000 or email [email protected].
With locations in key areas we are able to provide a service that suits the needs of our customers whenever or wherever they require. Our Partners below are local Upholstery and Carpet cleaning professionals who can provide highly competitive quotations for pre- cleaning services prior to Fire Retardant treatments.
They all have excellent track records within the Superyacht Industry and have completed a comprehensive training programme attaining their Certificates of Competence in Fire Retardant Treatments compliant to MCA standards. We welcome enquiries from potential new partners – No Licence Fee payable.